Recipe by Shar-on
I found this recipe on an Old Dutch bag of popcorn twists. I enjoy them as they are, but this is a nice change. Enjoy!
Top Review by plwhiting
I love this recipe. I don't use the popcorn twists ( though I have had it with them and this gave me the idea) I make regular popcorn and follow the directions. My popper is a 6 qt one and I make 2 of them. I get people asking me all the time for my caramel popcorn at Christmas and it has become a tradition to give away. In fact, my niece wants me to make a bunch for the popcorn bar at her upcoming wedding
- 1 (175 g) bag popcorn, twists (like Old Dutch)
- 1⁄2 lb butter (not margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the popcorn twists into a large roaster pan.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, cook tog butter, brown sugar and corn syrup for about 2 minutes. Add the baking soda, which will foam, so this is the reason for the larger saucepan. Allow the foam to cook down slightly, then pour over the popcorn twists, stirring well.
- Place into a 250 degF oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and pour onto wax paper, allowing to cool slightly, then break apart.