From the Southern section of the United States Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs veal loin
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into coins
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
Brown sauce (use 1 cup reserved veal broth)
- 1Cut the meat into one-inch cubes; place in a stockpot and add vegetables.
- 2Cover with boiling water and simmer until meat is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3Melt butter in a large skillet.
- 4Remove meat from stockpot; season with salt and pepper, dredge with flour and brown in butter.
- 5To make brown sauce, melt the butter and add onion; cook until onion is browned.
- 6Blend in flour, and continue to brown until flour reaches desired color.
- 7Add stock gradually; add seasoning and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
- 8If onion is not desired, strain the gravy before serving.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Dominion Veal Fricassee With Brown Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.2
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 139.9 mg
- Sodium 395.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 29.4 g