3 hrs 20 mins
An old fashioned Southern Style nut cake. Like fruit cake, this will last several weeks covered in aluminum foil. It has lots of nuts. It is a nut lovers dream.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb flour (4 cups)
- 1 lb sugar (2 cups)
- 3/4 lb butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1 cup Bourbon (don't use scotch) or 1 cup rye whiskey (don't use scotch)
- 2 lbs shelled pecans (8 cups) or 2 lbs walnuts (8 cups)
- 2 boxes seeded raisins (muscat) (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 275°F.
- 2Coat raisins and nuts with flour and set aside.
- 3Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time.
- 4Add molasses and spices, then add floured nuts and raisins.
- 5(Note: if not using raisins you may wish to add extra nuts) Last add whiskey and soda mixture.
- 6Bake in large bundt pan lined with waxed paper for 3 to 3 ½ hours over a pan of water set on the oven floor.
- 7Keeps for weeks wrapped in aluminum foil.
- 8For a Christmas cake that will last even longer wrap cake in cheesecloth dampened with Bourbon and then in foil and store in a cool place. Check Cheese cloth at least once a week and dampen again as needed.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Dominion Nut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 859.1
- Calories from Fat 543
- Total Fat 60.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 125.0 mg
- Sodium 232.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 36.7 g
- Protein 10.7 g