Recipe by Steve P.
An old fashioned Southern Style nut cake. Like fruit cake, this will last several weeks covered in aluminum foil. It has lots of nuts. It is a nut lovers dream.
- 1 lb flour (4 cups)
- 1 lb sugar (2 cups)
- 3⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1 cup Bourbon (don't use scotch) or 1 cup rye whiskey (don't use scotch)
- 2 lbs shelled pecans (8 cups) or 2 lbs walnuts (8 cups)
- 2 boxes seeded raisins (muscat) (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Coat raisins and nuts with flour and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time.
- Add molasses and spices, then add floured nuts and raisins.
- (Note: if not using raisins you may wish to add extra nuts) Last add whiskey and soda mixture.
- Bake in large bundt pan lined with waxed paper for 3 to 3 ½ hours over a pan of water set on the oven floor.
- Keeps for weeks wrapped in aluminum foil.
- For a Christmas cake that will last even longer wrap cake in cheesecloth dampened with Bourbon and then in foil and store in a cool place. Check Cheese cloth at least once a week and dampen again as needed.