This recipe comes from my Nona. It is super easy, flavorful, and cheap... I love it because it makes my house smell just like my Nona's house and it is fool-proof! The slow cooking makes the pork chops just fall apart with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet or oven-proof pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions. Saute onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the pork chops and brown on each side. Once pork chops are browned, add in potatoes, positioning them in between the pork chops so that they are in contact with the skillet (not on top of pork chops).
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour into 8 oz of beef broth and then pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the skillet and transfer to the oven.
- After about 2 hours reduce the heat to 250 degrees and allow to continue to slow cook for another 2.5 hours.
- Whisk remaining flour into remaining beef broth. (If you want more gravy, use more broth. If you want a slightly thicker gravy, add a little extra flour.) Pour the mixture into the skillet and raise the temperature of the oven back to 300 for the remaining 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy with some hot bread and butter and a salad and you're good to go!