Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a chicken curry which is very very asian. It is a little similar to the sambal chicken recipe i have posted, but I find this one better. Don't let the work fool ya, it's actually really simple. Preferably leave this curry over night before eating, it allows the spices to really get into the chicken pieces, if you are in a rush, try and cook this dish a few hours before serving. Of course heat before serving. This dish has to be eaten HOT.
- 1 kg chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 potatoes, cut into small wedges
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 150 ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick (4cm piece)
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
Ground spices A
- 10 shallots
- 6 cloves garlic
- 15 red chilies, seeded
- 1 1⁄8 inches ginger (3cm)
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar, to taste
- Heat oil until hot, sauté ground spices (A) until fragrant.
- Add in cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise.
- Fry for 12 minutes.
- Add onions, tomato paste and potatoes.
- Stir-fry well.
- Mix in water and tomatoes.
- Cook until mixture starts to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and gravy turns thick.
- Add seasoning to taste and serve this spiced curry dish with bread slices or with plain rice.
Marvelous concoction. We loved it. I took your advise, KitchenManiac, and made this a day ahead and then reheated it. All those flavors melded together, infusing the chicken and tempting us to pick it out from the curry. There is no direction as to when to add the chicken so I added it in step 4 and stir-fried it 'til cooked thru. I'll decrease the sugar a bit next time but otherwise it's perfect as written for my taste.