1/2 Photos of Old Cape Brandy Pudding
1 hr 10 mins
An old South African recipe from the Western Cape area. Deeelicious and really worth making on a winter's night. This is S A comfort food at its best!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb dates, stoned and chopped up
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb. of soda)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces butter (the real stuff)
- 7 ounces sugar, you can use caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 lb cake flour or 1/2 lb all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For the syrup
- 1Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- 2You need a large ovenproof pudding dish, or 2 pie plates. Grease or spray with nonstick spray.
- 3Put the chopped dates in a bowl. Add the baking soda, and pour over the boiling water.
- 4Stir to mix and leave to cool.
- 5Cream together the butter and sugar until creamy (I use caster sugar, which, being fine, creams more easily). Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- 6Sieve together the flour, baking powder and salt, then fold it into the creamed mixture.
- 7Stir in the date mixture, and then the nuts. Fold in thoroughly.
- 8Ladle into your prepared dish or pie plates, and put into oven. The baking time is approximately 50 minutes, but will depend on the dishes used. Test with a skewer, but a few crumbs will often adhere to the stick even when the pudding is done.
- 9While it's baking, make the syrup.
- 10Heat the sugar, butter and water together, stirring, until sugar has melted almost completely. Do not boil.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, salt and brandy.
- 12When the pudding or pies come out of the oven, pour over the hot syrup. It will sink in slowly.
- 13Serve hot or cold with ice cream, whipped cream or custard.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Cape Brandy Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.4
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 112.8 mg
- Sodium 687.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 127.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 91.1 g
- Protein 9.2 g