Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
An Old Bay Substitute (close, anyway). Got this from a magazine but can't remember which one.
Make and share this Old Bay Seasoning Substitute recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace or 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix spices well (use a pestle and mortar or your coffee dried herb & spice grinder).
- Of course, as always, the measurements are not written in stone; you will probably want to change the amounts of each ingredient to suit your tastes.
Thank you! Worked like a charm in a pinch and our fish tacos were splendid as a result!
I cut this recipe in half as I did not want (or need) alot of seasoning. This worked out very well for me as I had all the ingredients and did not have to go out and buy more! Thanks for the posting!