Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was adapted from Aliza Green from Field Guide to Herbs & Spices. A little different from the recipes already here. Traditionally, this seasoning is used for steamed crabs, but is now used for fish, potato salad, potatoes, and other vegetables. This would also make a great gift, along with some recipes! Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons bay leaf powder
- 2 tablespoons celery salt (or 1 tbls. ground celery seed and 1 tbls. salt)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (smoked paprika is even better if you can find it!)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight jar, mix thoroughly.
- Keep sealed until ready to use.
- To give as a gift, place in a pretty jar, along with some recipes. This would look nice in a basket, maybe with some measuring spoons, and ingredients for one of the recipes you give. Enjoy!
I don't think you get this where I come from if you do I have never seen it so I can't compare it with the real thing, but I do know that the smell in my kitchen when I ground this up was amazing. I had it mixed in with tuna and mayonnaise as a sandwich mix and it made a big difference to the flavour of the fish it seemed to pep it up. I will use it the next time we have baked fish, or in my fish pie which I make a lot, that will be interesting to see if anyone notices. A very nice recipe. Made for herb of the month (Feb, Bay)
Just to clear up what one rude reviewer had to say..... I'm looking at my (empty) can of Old Bay now. The FIRST ingredient on the can is Celery Salt. The entire ingredients list reads as follows: Celery Salt (salt, celery seed) spices (including red pepper and black pepper) and Paprika. That's it.
This is NOT an Old Bay copycat. First, there is no way celery salt is in it, it would be celery seed (ground). And no smoked paprika would be in it either, there was no such thing available when Old Bay originated! (Editor: inappropriate comment deleted)