Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Small, sweet, fluffy Russian pancakes. Great Dessert!
- 1 lb about 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 25 g yeast (about .8 ounces)
- Mix yeast with warm milk, add flour and blend until smooth. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place (for about 2 hours). If using the oven/stove for other cooking, you can turn on one burner at very low heat, just enough to create some heat. Put the dough in a bowl, covered with a thin washcloth on the adjacent unlit burner or in the center of the stove to rise. It will also rise at room temperature, but works better warm.
- Mix eggs, salt and sugar and 1 tablespoon oil into the dough and allow to rise again (for about 1/2 hour). Without mixing dough again, use a wet spoon to spoon out portions of dough onto a greased hot pan. Dollop out with a soup spoon, the pancakes are small. About the size of a sand-dollar or teacup circumference. They rise like blini, but unlike blini are not thin, they should rise about 2-3cm tall.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with preserves and sour cream (or creme fraiche). Also good with honey, farmer's cheese or fresh fruit and sugar. Or any combo you like!