Recipe by Sydney Mike
There are so many versions of stone soup AND the story of stone soup, but preparation of it is a group affair, & ingredients can be anything that works for you! This particular recipe comes from familyfun.go.com, & it's a great group activity. Two versions of the story can be found online, one at http://stonesoup.esd.ornl.gov & another one at www.thatsmyhome.com . Reading the story to the group is part of it all! The FIRST INGREDIENT--which I'm unable to list properly--should be "1 LARGE stone, preferrably quartz, because it won't break down during cooking."
Top Review by Debbwl
Now who would have imaged such a soup from just a stone! A simple yet nutritious meal that is very tasty. I made two very minor changes in that I left out the croutons and added a little fresh rosemary as per the story there was a little in the house. Thanks for the tasty memory of a story I always enjoyed and can now remember often thanks to this tasty soup.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed, chopped fine
- 1 large carrot, cut into coins
- 3 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into halves
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, diced large
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced large
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 2 cups cooked pasta (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- Get someone to wash & rinse the stone, scrubbing thoroughly, then put it in the bottom of a pot of water to boil while preparing the rest of the soup [OR in a pinch, use a LARGE potato as a sybolic 'stone'].
- If making the soup WITH A GROUP, be sure that each person has brought together one or more of the ingredients.
- In another LARGE pot, melt butter or heat the oil, then saute onion on medium-high for 2-4 minutes. Stir in celery, carrot, potatoes & bell pepper, sauteeing 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic & saute about 30 seconds, then pour the broth into the LARGE pot.
- Use tongs, ladle or large spoon to fish out the hot 'stone' & put it into the LARGE pot.
- Heat to boiling.
- Add zucchini, squash, corn & pasta, cooking another 8 minutes or until the zucchini is the desired softness.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Before serving, sprinkle on cheese & croutons, then ladle--minus the stone--into individual bowls.