Recipe by Amis
This is a great dish with apples, sauerkraut and bratwurst. Depending on how you serve it, it makes a great appetizer as well as an entree. Zaar World Tour 05
Top Review by NoCookDonna
I had to make some changes due to not having the correct ingredients, but stayed with the recipe for the most part. I did not have any phyllo dough, so I used a can of Crescent dough instead and did not roll it up. I spread the mustard over the crescent dough (which I rolled out into one huge rectangle in the pan) and then placed the sauerkraut mixture over the mustard, placed the slices of bratwurst on top then baked as instructed in the recipe. Once it was done, I put the mustard sauce over the brat slices and then sprinkled on the paprika. It turned out really good. My DH and I both loved it. Thanks Amis for a wonderful recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup melted german butter
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups drained german wine-cured sauerkraut
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1⁄4 cup german sweet mustard
- 1 lb bratwurst, thinly sliced
FOR THE MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon german butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 tablespoons german sweet mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika or 1 teaspoon curry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons butter, and saute onion for 3 minutes or until clear.
- Add diced apple and sauté 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in sauerkraut and caraway, mixing well.
- On a large baking sheet, lay out one sheet of phyllo and fold in half lengthways and brush with about 1 tablespoon butter.
- Repeat layering.
- Spread mustard over last layer of phyllo.
- Then spread sauerkraut filling along the long lengthwise side to the center of the dough leaving a 1-1/2 inch border around the edges.
- Top sauerkraut with bratwurst slices; roll jellyroll-style folding in the short edges.
- Place seam-side down on pan; brush top with butter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- MEANWHILE PREPARE MUSTARD SAUCE:.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat, stir in flour to form a smooth past.
- Slowly stir in cream and continue stirring to keep lumps from forming.
- Whisk in mustard and heat through.
- TO SERVE:.
- For an appetizer, slice into 8 portions, as an entree, 4. Slice warm strudel and serve in a pool of mustard sauce. Sprinkle mustard sauce with the paprika.