Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from Rachael Ray's book, "30 Minute Get Real Meals" (lower carb meals). I've made a few minor changes/suggestions (as noted in parantheses). I am going to be using this in my OAMC and will update the recipe after I've tried it out!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pats
- 3 knockwurst, diced into 1 inch cubes (or substitute 3 extra brats)
- 3 bratwursts, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs red cabbage, quartered and shredded
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer or 1 (12 ounce) bottle beef broth
- 1 quart veal stock or 1 quart beef stock or 1 quart vegetable broth or 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 fresh bay leaves or 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Red Delicious apples or 2 golden delicious apples, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat a big soup pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and half the butter.
- When the butter melts into the oil, add the cubed wursts and brown them on all sides, 5 minutes. Remove the browned sausages and add the remaining tablespoon each of oil and butter.
- When the butter melts into the oil, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and caraway, season with salt and pepper, and stir. Cook the cabbage for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beer and cook down 1 minute. Add the stock, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, and bay leaf and stir to combine. Add the wursts back to the pot. Cover the pot and bring the soup up to a boil, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the cabbage is tender. Remove the bay leaf.
- Combine the parsley, apple, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and top with generous spoonfuls of the flavored apples to stir into the soup as you eat it.