Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe I found that I want to try so I am posting for safe keeping. This recipe is from Ball Canning.
- 1 1⁄2 cups beer
- 1 cup brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup malt vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- COMBINE beer and brown mustard seeds in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand at room temperature until seeds have absorbed most of the moisture, about 2 hours.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- PLACE mustard seeds and remaining liquid in a food processor or blender. Process until chopped and slightly grainy.
- TRANSFER mixture to a large saucepan. Whisk in water, vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard and onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until volume is reduced by a third, about 15 minutes.
- LADLE hot mustard into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
I made this last night, and all I can say is the other reviewers are doing it wrong. I don't know what they are doing wrong, but mine was sweet and delicious. I know for a fact one step is missing from these directions, that you need to be stirring constantly during the boil after putting all the other ingredients in, because if you don't it will scorch at the bottom. It started to when I was making it. So that might have something to do with it. Also, I put in a tiny bit extra sugar and about a teaspoon of salt for flavor. Turned out great!
I agree with the other reviewer. I made this and it was horrible. It tasted nothing like mustard at all. We threw it all out.
I did find the brown mustard seeds at a whole food store but unfortunately my end result was the same. It was very bitter. It basically tastes like you're eating vinegar. I had to throw it out.