Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This Kuwaiti recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking. It is also good without the tomatoes (and some proportions adjusted).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs okra (frozen)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, diced 3/4 inch
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Put in garlic and onions. Stir and fry until onions turn translucent, turning the heat down if necessary.
- Put in okra. Stir and fry a minute.
- Put in remaining ingredients plus 1/2 cup water and bring to simmer.
- Cover, turn heat to low, and cook gently 15-20 minutes or until okra is tender.
- Serve either hot or cold.
I made this for lunch today and was very pleased with it. It came through with a lot of flavor and was made in about 15 mins. Served with whole wheat couscous it was a welcome change of pace that I will surely make again. Thanks for posting Mliss. Made for Photo Tag.