Recipe by mliss29
This Kuwaiti recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking. It is also good without the tomatoes (and some proportions adjusted).
Top Review by Annacia
I made this for lunch today and was very pleased with it. It came through with a lot of flavor and was made in about 15 mins. Served with whole wheat couscous it was a welcome change of pace that I will surely make again. Thanks for posting Mliss. Made for Photo Tag.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs okra (frozen)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, diced 3/4 inch
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Put in garlic and onions. Stir and fry until onions turn translucent, turning the heat down if necessary.
- Put in okra. Stir and fry a minute.
- Put in remaining ingredients plus 1/2 cup water and bring to simmer.
- Cover, turn heat to low, and cook gently 15-20 minutes or until okra is tender.
- Serve either hot or cold.