Prep 6 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very good side dish to accompany a curry. The use of fresh okra is important, tinned okra is too mushy. Simple and quick to make with just a few ingredients this is a must dish.
- 1 lb fresh okra, in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 green chilies, seeded
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In a processor blend half of the onion with the garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander and cumin, add a little water to make a thin paste.
- In a pan heat the oil and fry the remaining onions till golden and remove them and set aside.
- Add the spice mixture to the pan and cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the okra, lemon juice and 4 fluid oz of water, simmer till the okra is tender.
- Serve garnished with the fried onion.
The coriander and lemon really shine through in this dish. The okra is quite refreshing and would go nicely with a curry with lots of heat. Tasty and quick to prepare! Thanks Brian!