Recipe by Girl from India
This is the way my mom prepares okra and the way we have had it all our childhood.
Top Review by Mary Austin
The reason for the 4 star instead of 5 is because I used these spices with squash (a tasteless vegetable in my opinion) and it turned out great. I know it will be a 5 star using okra as soon as I can find it in this "northern" state of existance. I also used the tamarind concentrate, but probably did not use enough. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 1⁄2 kg okra, washed dried thoroughly and cut into slices (cut it diagonally so that the slices appear elongated and not round)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot, cut minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tamarind extract, soak a walnut sized ball of tamarind in 1/2 a cup of water (or according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tblsp oil in a wok.
- Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, sliced onions and green chillies.
- Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and the cumin and turmeric powders.
- Then add the sliced okra and the salt.
- Saute till just mixed through so that it does not get sticky.
- Let it cook on low till the okra is almost cooked without stirring.
- Add the tamarind extract and mix and cook till the okra is cooked through.