Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the way my mom prepares okra and the way we have had it all our childhood.
- 1⁄2 kg okra, washed dried thoroughly and cut into slices (cut it diagonally so that the slices appear elongated and not round)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot, cut minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tamarind extract, soak a walnut sized ball of tamarind in 1/2 a cup of water (or according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Heat 1 tblsp oil in a wok.
- Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, sliced onions and green chillies.
- Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and the cumin and turmeric powders.
- Then add the sliced okra and the salt.
- Saute till just mixed through so that it does not get sticky.
- Let it cook on low till the okra is almost cooked without stirring.
- Add the tamarind extract and mix and cook till the okra is cooked through.
The reason for the 4 star instead of 5 is because I used these spices with squash (a tasteless vegetable in my opinion) and it turned out great. I know it will be a 5 star using okra as soon as I can find it in this "northern" state of existance. I also used the tamarind concentrate, but probably did not use enough. Thanks for a great recipe!
Very tasty. This was the first time I've used fresh okra and it was wonderful. I was able to get lovely fresh Organic okra and the okra flavor really shone through. I thought that the spicing was wonderful- you can still taste the spicing and the tamarind, but the fresh flavor of okra is really the star.
Simply delicious. I increased the amount of green chillies and fried them up well with the onions before adding the okra. Will be a regular at my household.