Recipe by EdraAnn
An easy and tasty recipe. Best made with fresh okra and really good served over white rice.
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
I have never cook fresh okra before but will be making this again. Excellent side dish and I served this with Recipe #302295. I also used fresh diced tomatoes. Made for *Fall 2008 PAC* Thanks!
- 1 lb okra, fresh
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 15 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and trim okra just before cooking. Cut each okra in half lengthwise, if there are any pieces longer than 4 inches, cut them in half crosswise and then lengthwise.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sided skillet over medium heat and add the onions along with the salt; cook until they begin to soften, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to low and add the okra. Stir to combine.
- Cook, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.