An easy and tasty recipe. Best made with fresh okra and really good served over white rice.
Make and share this Okra & Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Clean and trim okra just before cooking. Cut each okra in half lengthwise, if there are any pieces longer than 4 inches, cut them in half crosswise and then lengthwise.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sided skillet over medium heat and add the onions along with the salt; cook until they begin to soften, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to low and add the okra. Stir to combine.
- Cook, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
I have never cook fresh okra before but will be making this again. Excellent side dish and I served this with Chicken Medallions in White Wine Reduction. I also used fresh diced tomatoes. Made for *Fall 2008 PAC* Thanks!
This was delicious. The okra was crisp tender in the time frame specified and not slimy. I did use fresh garden tomatoes in place of the canned and added a pinch of red pepper flakes to spice it up a touch. Made for *PAC Autumn 2008*