Prep 10 mins
Cook 26 mins
Delicious, non-slimy way to turn okra into a side dish or low-meat main dish.
Make and share this Okra Tomato Pilaf (Limping Susan) in the Pressure Cooker recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced okra (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika or 2 teaspoons smoked spanish paprika
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 cup canned tomato
- 2 1⁄4 cups water or 2 1⁄4 cups broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Fry the bacon in a pressure cooker over medium-low heat so the grease melts and thickly coats the bottom of the pan. Add oil if the bacon is lean.
- Add the okra and raise heat to medium-high. Fry until the okra is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika and mix well.
- Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes. Add the broth and salt. Put the lid and gauge on and bring up to pressure. Time for 16 minutes (for firm rice) to 18 minutes (for soft rice) from the time the gauge begins to rock. Bring down the pressure by running water over the pan sides.