Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
An American recipe with African roots. Rice is invariably served with this soup and sometimes corn and buttered beans. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 soup bone
- 4 cups okra, cut fine
- 2 cups tomatoes, pulp (canned puree is fine)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cover soupbone with cold water and allow to come to a boil; cook for about an hour.
- Add okra and tomato pulp.
- Simmer for two hours or until thick.