Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
Blanching keeps the okra crisp and firm in this yummy marinated salad.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar or 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lb small okra pods
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separatedinot rings
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- Combine the first 5 ingredients, and stir well.
- Blanch okra in boiling water 3 minutes.
- Combine warm okra, onion, and garlic in a 12x8x2-inch dish.
- Pour vinaigrette over okra mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Marinate at least 2 hours; drain.
- Arrange on serving plate with tomato slices; if desired.
I couldn't find any fresh okra so defrosted frozen okra. The texture was slimy, but the flavor was great, so I definitely want to try it again when I can find fresh okra. Not giving a star rating until I try it with fresh okra.
Just made this as a side dish to my recipe #304034, not sure if this is traditional or not but it all went very well together. This salad was light and fresh and you're right, blanching the okra kept it lovely and crunchy! I used balsamic vinegar and it gave it a great flavour. Thanks for sharing!
A simple cool summer salad. The okra did hold a nice crispy texture. I used spring onions instead of white. For my taste, next time I would shift the vinaigrette closer to 1:1 oil and vinegar.