Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From 'Tried & True Grit'. I have not made it as written, but made a smaller batch that could be stored in the fridge -- simmering ONE pound of okra pods in a brine of 1/2 c vinegar, 1 c water, 1 T salt, 1 t red pepper flakes, 1 clove garlic, & 1/2 t dill seed. Fresh dill would've been good if I had it. Use the smallest okra pods you can find; otherwise they can be stringy.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs okra pods
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄3 cup kosher salt
- 3 small hot peppers (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- Pack okra firmly into hot sterilized jars.
- Put a garlic bud in each jar.
- Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Pour brine into jars.
- Seal and process 10 minutes at 180-200 degrees F.
- Let ripen several weeks before opening.
I made the refrigerated version and I enjoyed every one of them. Didn't know how long to simmer so I covered and let simmer 5 mins. Thanks for something different and tasty.