Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delightful dish from "Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant" cookbook.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 cups finely chopped okra
- 2 chilies, stemmed,seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a non reactive saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in the oil for 10 minutes.
- Add the okra and chilies, saute, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Mmmmm! I had fresh okra and tomatoes right out of my garden. It's been this really terrible rainy, grey day. And making this dish really kinda cheered me up! It's so bright and pretty and health too! Great flavour, really can't be improved. Simple IS best. :D Thanks for postin!
Great flavor, and just exactly what I was hoping for! I used two birdseye Thai chilis and left the seeds in (we like it spicy) and sliced the okra rather than finely chopping. Only thing I found that I had to do differently from the recipe was add a bit of water during the 30 minutes simmering time (perhaps my Roma tomatoes didn't have enough liquid in themselves) but I then let that cook off and the dish was perfection- and no slime, either. Thanks for posting!