Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was an impromptu recipe that turned out yummy and became a regular.
- 1⁄4 kg okra (Washed, dried, trimmed and cut into chunks)
- 1 onion, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mango powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- In a non-stick vessel, fry the onion in the oil will dark golden brown or even close to burning Add the okra and then the mustard seeds Saute till okra is almost done Then add all the powders and the salt Mix well and then add the tomato Mix well till the tomato is heated through Serve hot.
I love okra and on the rare occasions I can find it I always buy some. This was nice and easy and I'll make it again. I might increase the spices a bit next time, though. I assumed the pepper called for in the recipe was black pepper, so I used that. I had it with plain rice and a dollop of plain yoghurt on the side. Yum!
very good okra. i skipped the pepper and went with chilli powder. the mango powder gave this a very nice flavor. i dont usually care so much for okra but when i drizzled it with some lemon juice, it gave it a nice zip, and my husband also like it a lot. thanks for posting.
Fay, I must thank you for posting this. This is superb! I made this as a side dish for our lunch this afternoon. I used 2 small onions instead of 1 and 2 small tomatoes instead of 1. I had to use 2 tsps. of oil accordingly as 1 was too little. I used about 1/2 tsp. of salt. Also, I used cumin seeds instead of the powdered form. This came out sooooooooooo good. Mom, Dad and I shared this amongst the 3 of us. We had this with rotis and yellow rice. We "LOVE" it and this will be a regular on our table. Thanks for posting!