Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, rough chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 8 -10 okra pods (or 1/2 bag frozen okra, about)
- Cook the onions in the oil until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and spice mix; simmer about 5-8 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Wait till the last minute to first wash, then dry and cut the okra (about 1/4 inch) to help prevent bleeding.
- Add the okra and peppers to the pot, cover and simmer until the okra is tender.
- For a main dish, add smoked sausage, or cubed, cooked chicken or pork and serve over rice.
- This is also excellent with black beans mixed in!
Excellent okra recipe! I added black beans, served it over plain cous-cous and it was a great hit! Thank you Chief Jack! Yummy!
I'm not from the south but this dish makes me wonder else I've been missing! I made it at the fire station with hot smoked sausage and served it over brown rice. Every guy on our engine company went back for thirds. Definitely a hit!
This was really good - I think I'll eat it as a main dish next time!