Recipe by Baz
This tangy vegetable dish can be served as an accompaniment, but also makes an excellent vegetarian meal served with a lentil dish (Tarka Dhal) and Indian bread (roti or chapatis).
- 450 g okra
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion seeds
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon natural low-fat yogurt (plain)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, top and tail the okra, cut into 1 cm pieces and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan, add the onion seeds, green chillies and onion and fry for about 5 minutes until the onion has turned golden.
- Lower the heat and add the turmeric and coconut, and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the okra, turn the heat to medium-high and quickly stir-fry for a few minutes until lightly golden.
- Add the yoghurt, tomatoes and finally the fresh coriander. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately.