Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a similar recipe to the one posted by Chef Mercy Varghese. This dish is a staple in the home of all Malayalis with of course a number of variations. This is how it is prepared in my home and tastes fantastic.
- 1⁄4 kg okra, wash, dry, trim edges, and cut into 1/2 inch long pieces
- 3⁄4-1 cup thick plain yogurt
- 1 -2 green chili
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- oil (for deep frying)
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Fry the okra pieces till crisp and light brown (some greenish color should be retained, do not brown fully).
- Drain well.
- Whip yoghurt and salt till smooth and creamy.
- Add okra.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds and let them splutter, add the green chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add to the yoghurt mixture.
I think the deep frying ruins this. I was reluctant but went ahead anyway, and all the grease and extra calories is just not worth the taste in the end. It was also very bland with just the overpowering taste of yoghurt, perhaps some cumin or coriander powder would have picked up the flavour? I would suggest these changes along with omitting the deep frying. Sorry for the low review but my family could just not finish this one.