Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Completely simple and wonderfully tasty. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 cups okra pods (young and tender are best)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- salt, to taste
- Wash okra weell; trim stem end, leaving enough on the pod to keep the juice inches.
- Cover with boiling water and boil gently until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- When half done add a little salt.
- To serve, drain very well, pour into a hot dish and add melted butter and lemon juice.
I love lemon, okra and butter all separately but this wasn't as good as I thought it should have been. I used a good quality frozen baby okra which needs no trimming, freshly squeezed lemon juice, & sea salt which I added after cooked.