Recipe by Girl from India
This is a recipe that I have posted in response to a request from a friend :). Adapted from another website
Top Review by nott
This recipe is absolutely devine! It is now my favorite way to prepare okra. What am I going to do when fresh okra is out of season? Oh no! I'll have to experiment with frozen then. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I ate the whole thing myself one night!
- 250 g okra
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, to taste (if using this do not add the chilli while preparing the okra)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (white split lentils)
- 1 red chile, halved (if not adding cayenne pepper to the curd)
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 3 -4 curry leaves
- finely chopped coriander (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the curd in a bowl and beat it by adding a little buttermilk/ water into a fine paste.
- Wash and dry and then cut the okra into round slices of a thickness of 1/4 to 1/2 an inch (as I do) or even bigger.
- Add chilli powder (if using),cumin powder, salt and a little sugar to taste and keep it aside.
- Heat pan with the cooking oil and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilli (if using) and curry leaves.
- Add asofotoeda and the cut okras and keep stirring till the okras are crisp and fried.
- Let the crisp okras cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix them with the prepared curd.
- Garnish with finely chopped corriander leaves.
- Note: Use the chilli either in the okra or the cayenne in the curd.
- Do not use in both.