2 hrs 25 mins
Down South comfort food at it's best! Posted for ZWT 9
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups andouille sausages, diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 cup okra, trimmed and sliced
- 6 cups cold chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 chicken thighs (large size, deboned, cut into 1 inch cubes and seasoned liberally with Creole Seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce, to taste
- kosher salt, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly Sliced
- creole boiled rice, for serving
- 1Mix your onion, celery, and bell pepper together: The Holy Trinity.
- 2Heat the oil in a cast iron dutch oven over medium heat, whisk in the flour to make a milk chocolate colored Roux.
- 3Add the Andouille, 1 Tbsp of Seasoning, and 3/4 of the Holy Trinity, cook, stirring often, for about ten minutes or until the vegetables soften, add the cold stock, remaining seasoning, okra, remaining trinity, and Garlic.
- 4Bring to a boil then bring this down to a simmer, add the thigh meat and let it go for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. About 10-15 minutes before you're ready to serve add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and 1/2 of the Green Onions.
- 5Serve with Creole Boiled Rice, crusty French bread.
- 6Garnish with green onions, and the parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Okra Gumbo With Chicken & Andouille Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (1070 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 704.4
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.7 mg
- Sodium 687.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: