Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Great vegetarian dish when served over rice.
Make and share this Okra Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 0.5 (16 ounce) packagesliced frozen okra, thawed
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon file powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- First, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green pepper & minced garlic and saute until tender. Stir in the okra, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, file powder, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Once they begin to boil, reduce the heat to simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 45 minutes. About 30 minutes into the cooking time, add the corn (optional).
- Next, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add flour, stirring constantly and cook 2 to 5 minutes until a golden roux has formed. Once the roux has been prepared, spoon the roux into the okra mixture and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for another 5 to 10 minutes until thickened.
As written this can't be cooked. There is no liquid in it. I added a bunch of broth, but what should really be there? If the recipe is corrected I will amend my rating according to the changes, as it had great promise and came out nicely with the changes I made. I would have written the chef personally about this, but private messages weren't allowed.