Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came across this recipe in an old cookbook of my grandmothers. I have only made it once but it has good flavor. My hubby added smoked sausage and chicken to it for a hearty meal. My kids even loved it.
- 2 cups okra (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (tops also)
- tomato juice (like V8)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Saute onions, celery, garlic, and okra in olive oil until onions are clear.
- Add all seasonings and stir to coat onions, celery, and okra.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add tomato juice to cover and cook until celery is tender.
- Serve over cooked white or brown rice.
It has been a long time since I have had stewed okra and this recipe did not disappoint. I served it with some brown rice and stuffed bell peppers. Recipe made for the Rosemary/Oregano tag - June, 2011.