Recipe by Porfavorcorona
This gumbo uses okra as the thickener, so there's no roux. This is an easy and tasty gumbo for beginners to try.
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 lbs okra, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in large pot and cover with 4 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Drain water (saving stock), allow to cool and remove meat from bones in large pieces.
- In the same pot, melt butter and sautee okra, onion and green pepper until travslucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes.
- Add chicken and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Serve with rice.