Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from a relative back in the early '70's we've been enjoying ever since. It won 1st place in our cooking contest at my family reunion. You may want to add a little water or chicken broth to this.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 -3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 lb frozen sliced okra
- Saute' onion and peppers in margarine until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients including cooked chicken.
- Cook on low for about 2 hours to blend flavors.
- This can be served over steamed rice.
Wow, this was great! Only changes, didn't use butter or bouillon cube. Cooked 4 bone-in w/skin thighs on Foreman grill and used some of the drippings and added water to that. Added some jalapeno link sausage, shrimp, fresh okra from our garden and more Old Bay. My husband thinks this is the best Gumbo ever. Thank you so much!