Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
These are great--this true southern food.
- 1 cup sliced fresh okra
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- peanut oil
- Combine first 9 ingredients in medium bowl, stirring well.
- Pour oil to the depth of 2 inches into skillet; heat to 360°F degrees.
- Using a tablespoon dipped in hot water, drop mixture into hot oil.
- Fry 1 minute on each side or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Serve at once.
My kids even gobbled it up! I only added a bit of garlic powder to the batter, but did everything else as written. We had these and a salad for dinner is it was quite filling!
very good...i sliced the okra,ommitted the curry and added some garlic powder....no problem with the fritters not staying together...
Definitely need to drain these babies on paper towels. Next time I make these I will grate the okra instead of slicing because the fritters fell apart somewhat while cooking. I also omitted the curry powder and chose to blend the fritter batter smoothly; (although there were still a few bits and pieces of toms and onion remaining, which was fine) using an immersion blender. Then I stirred in the grated okra. My first time trying fried okra, only have had it in gumbo. Tasty, especially with a few drops of green Tabasco sauce on top.