Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very good Okra Fritters that I seen made on the today show with Chef Scott Peacock. He made them for Giada De Laurentiis to try as she had never eaten okra.
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced okra
- canola oil (for frying)
homemade baking powder (use 1 tsp)
- 4 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Put the cornmeal, flour,1 teaspoon of the salt & 1 teaspoon of the home made Baking Powder in a mixing bowl and stir well with a whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and water and stir into the dry ingredients, mixing only until moistened.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper over the onion and sliced okra and toss lightly.
- Fold the okra & onion into the batter.
- Pour 1 inch of oil into heavy skillet and heat to 340-350 degrees; Spoon the okra batter by heaping tablespoons into hot oil, fry until golden brown on one side and turn and continue until both sides are browned and the fritters are cooked through; remove from skillet to paper towel to drain.
- Serve & enjoy.
- For homemade baking powder: sift the 2 ingredients together 3 times and transfer to a clean tight-sealing jar; store at room temperature for up to 6 weeks.
Hi Barb, these are finger-lickin good!! Is the way I can best describe them. We made them just the way you posted but we did add some crispy bacon to the batter. These were so good and such a great way to serve it to our resident's!! :) They were a great hit and they are now a staple of the menu at our "Cafe Ponce!" Thanks for posting a great and simple recipe. Diane :)