Top Review by realbirdlady
I think more introductory information about what this is and how to use it would be helpful. I know how to make gumbo, but I still had to think for sort of a while to understand it. I would have called this a gumbo starter, rather than a gumbo mix, since there is still a good bit of ingredient adding and cooking needed to get gumbo. I do think this would be a great timesaver if you had a lot of okra to put up - roasting them in quantity would be faster than canning or freezing, and you'd also have part of the gumbo work done.
- 5 lbs fresh okra
- 6 medium onions, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse okra well. Let dry completely. Slice into 1/2 inch rounds, discarding the stem portion. Dice and chop remaining vegetables.
- Place all ingredients in a roasting pan and cook covered at 300 degrees.
- After one hour uncover and stir. Recover and cook another hour.
- Cool completely and spoon into 4 one pint freezer containers.