Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Tasty make ahead mix makes gumbo day a snap! Use with my Shrimp and Okra Gumbo for gumbo or your own recipe. Either way, the veggies are all prepared for you in this recipe so you can skip some time and steps when preparing your gumbo. HTH
- 5 lbs fresh okra
- 6 medium onions, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Rinse okra well. Let dry completely. Slice into 1/2 inch rounds, discarding the stem portion. Dice and chop remaining vegetables.
- Place all ingredients in a roasting pan and cook covered at 300 degrees.
- After one hour uncover and stir. Recover and cook another hour.
- Cool completely and spoon into 4 one pint freezer containers.
I think more introductory information about what this is and how to use it would be helpful. I know how to make gumbo, but I still had to think for sort of a while to understand it. I would have called this a gumbo starter, rather than a gumbo mix, since there is still a good bit of ingredient adding and cooking needed to get gumbo. I do think this would be a great timesaver if you had a lot of okra to put up - roasting them in quantity would be faster than canning or freezing, and you'd also have part of the gumbo work done.