Recipe by Dine & Dish
My kids love chicken fingers. I can trick my 2 year old into thinking these are chicken fingers because when they are done, they look a lot like them! We rarely fry, but when we do, this is one side dish that is worth doing!
- 20 small fresh okra pods
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash Okra and trim stems.
- Drain well and place in a shallow container.
- Pour buttermilk over the okra in the shallow container and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cornmeal and pepper.
- Remove each okra pod from buttermilk and roll in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour about 1 inch of oil into a deep skillet.
- Fry okra in hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Salt if desired.