Okra Curry (Bindi Bhajee)
- Wash the okra and cut off the stalks. Prick them 2 or 3 times but don't chop them. Blanch in a little boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Strain and discard the water, which will be fairly sticky. Wash the okra in cold water.
- Heat the oil and fry Spices 1 for two or three minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 10 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Meanwhile make Spices 2 into a paste with a little water. Add to the onion mix and fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, green pepper, chillies and a little water and simmer for 30 minutes, adding water as needed.