Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was the "Recipe of the Day" in today's email from a local grocery store. I am posting it so I remember it when my okra and tomatoes are ready (I'll have to buy the corn!). I have to guess on the prep and cooking times since the recipe says it takes 45 minutes total to make, yet gives no definite times within the recipe.
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 340.19 g fresh okra, cut into thin rounds
- 2 ear corn, kernels cut off
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat butter and oil in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add okra; cook, stirring occasionally, until okra no longer forms "strings."
- Stir in corn and tomatoes.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Great recipe! I made this last night with okra from my local farmer's market, fresh sweet corn, and a combination of fresh and canned tomatoes. I did saute 1/2 of a red onion, diced, and a couple of minced garlic cloves with the okra. This is delicious! I recommend that you make a pan of cornbread and crumble a square of it into your bowlful of hot okra, corn, and tomatoes before digging it. Will be making another, bigger batch of this while corn and okra are locally available. Excellent recipe for true, and healthy, comfort food!
I've grown up eating a variation of this recipe....usually had onions in it as well. Now, I add some garlic too. I made this as posted to be true to the recipe, and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
My biggest complaint for many okra dishes is that it is slimey. By cooking the okra until it no longer "strings" that eliminated the problem. This is a delicious recipe that I made with the first of fresh garden okra.