Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was the "Recipe of the Day" in today's email from a local grocery store. I am posting it so I remember it when my okra and tomatoes are ready (I'll have to buy the corn!). I have to guess on the prep and cooking times since the recipe says it takes 45 minutes total to make, yet gives no definite times within the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces fresh okra, cut into thin rounds
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut off
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat butter and oil in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add okra; cook, stirring occasionally, until okra no longer forms "strings."
- Stir in corn and tomatoes.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This looked to simple to be good. I've made okra/tomatoes for years, but this was a twist I wanted to try. The only thing I added was a 1/2 onion to okra. Mine looked totally different, more fresh looking and not as stewed looking. Served with rice and hamburger patties. I ended up mixing them together and it was one of the best garden dishes I've made for sure. Note- I used 1 can stewed tomatoes instead of fresh.
Great recipe! I made this last night with okra from my local farmer's market, fresh sweet corn, and a combination of fresh and canned tomatoes. I did saute 1/2 of a red onion, diced, and a couple of minced garlic cloves with the okra. This is delicious! I recommend that you make a pan of cornbread and crumble a square of it into your bowlful of hot okra, corn, and tomatoes before digging it. Will be making another, bigger batch of this while corn and okra are locally available. Excellent recipe for true, and healthy, comfort food!
I've grown up eating a variation of this recipe....usually had onions in it as well. Now, I add some garlic too. I made this as posted to be true to the recipe, and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe!