Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Bhindi also known as Okra or Lady Finger in spicy gravy
- 1 lb okra, also known as Bhindi or 1 lb ladyfinger
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 bunch chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- Dice the onions .
- Dice the tomotoes.
- Chop the chillies and corainder.
- Slice Bhindi ( Okra) in long pieces.
- Heat the oil in pan and add the Bhindi pieces. Shallow Fry them. ( If you wish you can also deep fry the bhindi pieces).
- Keep the fried bhindi aside.
- Heat 3 spoons of oil in a pan. Add the Bay leaves and cloves.
- After a minute add onions and fry them until light brown.
- Add the chopped green chilli pieces .
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for one minute.
- Add Garam masala and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato pieces, red chilli powder and salt, cover the pan and cook for a few minutes until tomatoes become soft. Stir carefully if needed to avoid the mixture from sticking to the pan.
- Add fried okra and mix slowly. Keep on heat for two more minutes and then remove the pan.
- Sprinkle some more garam masala on top .
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
This is very good if a bit rich. For the ginger-garlic paste I used 1 large garlic clove and a heaping 1/2 tsp of freshly grated ginger - this seems to work well. Also, make sure you begin the recipe from frying the onions onward in a separate pan from which you may have shallow fried the bhindi, otherwise bitter pieces from the frying process ruin it [gladly noticed while cooking my onion & saved the rest of the dish]. Used 1 large onion, not 2. Also, I think I would prefer less tomato & more okra, however I found the texture of the dish to be perfect! Thanks for posting the recipe.