Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I wonder how the recipe would work with frozen okra...
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 -7 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 lbs fresh okra
- 6 slices uncooked bacon
- Wash and dry okra. Cut okra into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil bottom of 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce in a large plastic bag. Add okra and shake to coat.
- Arrange okra in baking dish in two layers. Top with bacon pieces. Bake for 20 minutes. Then stir lightly to make sure all pieces come in contact with bacon. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more, until bacon is browned and okra is crispy on the outside.
Though this tasted okay, it never became crisp, and any okra not completely covered with bacon never lost its floury taste and white-powdery coating. Next time, I'd make sure every piece was covered, but I don't think it would help crisp the okra. Thanks anyway.
I have made this recipe several times and discovered after the first time that the recipe works best using half the amount of okra. I cut the bacon back to 4 - 5 slices and dice it before adding to the dish. I have also had success using frozen okra. Just set out to thaw before coating with cornmeal mix.
I tried this recipe today - found it in our local newspaper - mine had to be thrown out - I made the recipe exactly like the directions said - after the allowed time for baking - it still was not crisp. I wondered if I should have used thicker bacon - in order to get some oil to crisp it up. I baked it longer and still was not right. The recipe looked good - would love to hear from someone else that made this