Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple and favorite Southern summertime treat! This is best when made with fresh produce.
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 lb okra, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 fresh tomatoes, preferably Big Boy
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat bacon grease in a heavy nonreactive skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook onion 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add okra and cook another 5-6 minutes, or until okra begins to brown.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover skillet and simmer over low heat 20-30 minutes or until thickened.