Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
When we grew okra this was our favorite way of cooking it. Add corn and peppers, if you've got them, too. This is great as a side dish to fried catfish, so so Southern you'll also need some sweet tea!
- 4 dozen okra, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper
- In a skillet, melt butter and saute onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, okra and spices.
- Cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Taste and season with either cayenne or hot sauce.