Recipe by LeeDelaino
My friends always like this when I make it because the (sometimes) slimy texture of okra is not reallly noticeable when it's stewed. The only real difference in this from what my Granny makes is the addition of red wine vinegar--she would have added white.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups okra, cleaned and sliced in 1/2 chunks
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion on medium heat until soft and add okra and stir to coat allowing okra to warm through.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and sugar. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Turn heat to low and cook until okra is desired texture.
- Add seasonings to taste.