Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Okonomiyaki means "what-you-like-grilled". You can add anything you like to the batter. It's quite versatile. This is the recipe based on the Otafuku brand Okonomiyaki sauce package minus the meat.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup okonomiyaki flour, if you can find it
- 3⁄4 water or 3⁄4 dashi stock, if preferred
- 3 eggs
- 10 large cabbage leaves, chopped or 500 g cabbage
- 2 stalks green onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup okonomi sauce
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nori, flakes
- 2 tablespoons bonito flakes
- 1 tablespoon tempura batter (cooked and crumbled)
- Mix flour with water in medium size bowl.
- Stir eggs and vegetable ingredients in the batter.
- Heat oil on a griddle, a hot plate, or in a large skillet.
- Pour enough batter to make a single serving griddle cake (about 6" across and 1/2" thick.) Repeat for three more servings as room allows.
- Cook both sides on medium-low heat until golden brown (about 5 minutes each.).
- Move each griddle cake to a serving plate and immediately spread 1/4 cup of Okonomi sauce over the top of each one.
- Top the griddle cakes with the remaining ingredients evenly.