2 hrs 30 mins
The Okinawan sweet potato is a very special potato. It doesn't look like much from the outside (<a href="http://labofedibles.wordpress.com/2007/12/13/the-ugly-duckling-okinawan-purple-sweet-potato/">This site</a> calls it the ugly ducking of potatoes), but it is one beautiful and delicious spud! <p> This pie is a mixture of recipes from <a href="http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_grindz/2004/10/okinawan_sweet_.html">Reid at Ono Kine Grindz </a> and my family's special shortbread recipe. <p> I would not use any other potato for this recipe. It IS labor intensive, but the pay off is so worth it! This should be a smooth, rich, mouth-watering treat. People always ask me to make this for them.<p> Cooking time does not include overnight refrigeration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
Okinawan Sweet Potato Pie Filling
- 3 cups okinawan sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk (do not use skim)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1To Make the Shortbread Crust.
- 2Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 3Cream the butter and sugar together.
- 4Add the eggs one at a time, making sure that the eggs are well incorporated after each addition.
- 5Add flour slowly.
- 6Add vanilla and chopped macadamia nuts.
- 7Press the dough down onto an ungreased 9 X 13 pan.
- 8Bake for 30 minutes. Shortbread will not brown. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- 9Let cool.
- 10Start on the Okinawan Sweet Potato Pie Filling:.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12Peel and dice (about 1-inch cubes) the Okinawan Sweet Potato and steam until tender and dark purple.
- 13Whip the potatoes until fluffy. If you prefer a chunkier style of pie, mash the potatoes to your preference. Set aside to allow to cool.
- 14In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until very fluffy.
- 15Add in eggs one at a time and mix until well incorporated.
- 16Mix in milk, vanilla and salt.
- 17Fold the potatoes into the butter mixture. It should have the consistency of pancake batter.
- 18Pour onto the baked crust and bake for 30 minutes.
- 19Remove from oven and let it cool down to room temperature.
- 20To make the Haupia topping.
- 21In a thick-bottomed pot, heat the coconut milk until it is warm.
- 22In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- 23Add water to the bowl.
- 24Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the pot, whisking constantly until the mixture has thickened. (about 5-7 minutes).
- 25Let the mixture cool slightly, and pour it over the baked sweet potato pie layer.
- 26Refrigerate overnight.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Okinawan Purple Sweet Potato Pie With Haupia Topping
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.9
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 67.1 mg
- Sodium 151.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 34.5 g
- Protein 3.8 g