Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
The fourth recipe from the flyer that came with my bag of Jumbo Sweet Vidalia onions. Mama_Jennie makes the suggestion to add 1/3 cup more liquid as she found this was a little dry at the end of the baking time.
- 2 large vidalia sweet onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Brown the ground beef, drain.
- Saute Vidalias and bell pepper in small amount of margarine.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into a 2-quart covered casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
The trick to this dish is to check it about 15 minutes before taking out of the oven. If it appears dry, add a little heated beef broth to the dish, stir and replace cover.
I loved the flavor of this dish. Very, very tasty. However my rice came out crunchy. That set back the dish a lot. Even though I added the juice from the cans, I think next time I might add some broth or some more water. We will definitely make again and hopefully I will be able to give it the full 5 stars it deserves on flavor alone!