Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is another recipe my BF's mother gave me that I have revamped and made healthier. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup oil which I felt was unnecessary, I removed it completely and the recipe still turned out great. It also called for 3 ½ cups water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes; I cut down on the sodium by using low sodium chicken broth instead.
- 2 cups rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces onion soup mix
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red or green)
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a casserole dish and bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently.
Made this many times now. We love it. I like that it has no oil. It is flavourful, and goes with almost anything. I have added chicken/ sausage to it at the beginning to make it a one pot meal. Thanks for a great recipe katdi!